Friday, October 16, 2020

Can A Christian Support Euthanasia?

About two years ago I was first properly introduced to the concepts of euthanasia and assisted dying. Since then I've learned a lot more about them; I've attended debates and speeches, and read material from both supporters and opponents. I've read the EOLC Act and polls showing the public's perception of it. I also have conversed with people, gaining a better understanding of their thoughts. I've found some things to be as I expected, but plenty has shocked me too. 

In truth I was convinced by secular reasoning to make space in my schedule for these topics and not leave them for someone else to deal with. I hope to share some of those soon, but right now I would like to focus on the Christian, biblical perspective.

I've been surprised by how often professing Christians have told me, "I'm not sure what I think about this." Particularly embedded in my memory is a conversation that included this acknowledgment from someone with a strong mission focus. To my shame I was too stunned to respond well, but I left pondering the irony of the situation and wondering what our thoughts had to do with it. Doing missions is about being an ambassador for Christ, something all Christians are called to do. If that is our focus, then shouldn't our question be, "What does He think about this?

"Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God." ~ 2 Corinthians 5:20

Some of us will remember memorising all ten commandments during our childhoods, including the sixth: "thou shalt not kill." People fluent in the Hebrew language inform me that separate words are available for "kill" and "murder," as there are in English. This one would be correctly translated as "murder". But don't get too excited. The exceptions are self-defense, the death penalty, and war. An exception for "mercy killing" simply doesn't exist. 

But let's go right back to the beginning. In Genesis 1:27 we read: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." All the animals had been created already, and now mankind enters separately. All creation is pronounced "very good" but humanity alone is chosen to bear God's image. As such, human life holds special, inherent worth and value. Because we love God, we treat His image with respect. We don't harm or destroy it. And that goes for all lives; none are any less valuable than others and we don't discard anybody.

In many passages of Scripture we are called to love one another. One of the ways we do this is by bearing one another's burdens. We seek to alleviate and end suffering--not sufferers. We protect, support, and promote life. 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." ~ John 10:10

Our Saviour came to give abundant life. Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy. Would followers of Christ follow His example, or that of His and our greatest enemy?

There's a lot more that could and should be said, but for the sake of time I will wrap up here with one last point. God reserves for Himself the power to give and take life. He alone decides when it is our time to leave this earth and enter eternity. If we take that into our own hands we choose to serve ourselves instead of God and in doing so we proclaim that God is no longer God of our lives, but instead we are our own god. Serving anyone or anything above the God who created us is nothing short of idolatory. 

Culture may argue and change its mind every few years about what is acceptable and what isn't, but God isn't confused or indecisive about the truth and He makes it clear so that we don't need to be either. I'm thankful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment