Monday, October 11, 2021

#MusicMonday

All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give
I will ever love and trust Him
In His presence daily live

As my family sung this together, there were a couple of main things that stood out to me strongly (although there are plenty more things to reflect on as well!). Firstly, "to Jesus". It is to Jesus that we surrender. Have we done this? Do we continue to do this? And what other people or things are we inclined to render our submission to instead of Jesus? Perhaps we are inclined to break away from submitting to Jesus claims about truth or right and wrong when it's unpopular, and instead render that submission to our society through political correctness or "tolerance." Maybe we brush aside Jesus' call to follow Him, choosing rather to follow Hollywood or sports celebrities. 

Secondly, "all." If we have indeed surrendered to Jesus, have we surrendered all, or are we withholding some things? Which areas of our lives do we resist handing over to Him? If we're single, maybe we aren't willing to give up our desire for marriage. Perhaps its our finances we're holding onto. Or we give up Bible reading and prayer to keep our TV time when life gets busier. Complete the phrase: "All I need is Jesus and _______." Whatever you filled the blank with is something not surrendered to Jesus.

Perhaps we surrender an hour and a half of our Sunday to Jesus (when Aunty Cindy says we're allowed to attend church and worship our Creator), but when COVID came along we surrendered to it our jobs, churches, Bible studies, holidays, education, thoughts, speech, bodily autonomy, family, finances, and even the New Zealand Bill of Rights. If we surrendered to Jesus even half of what we have surrendered "to COVID," what would our lives look like? [Give me a few moments as I reflect on my own conviction.]

Our Savior is infinitely loving and infinitely trustworthy. He'll never let us down or harm us. We can hand Him everything without reservation. All to Jesus I surrender.


I Surrender All by Joey & Rory




No comments:

Post a Comment