Monday, June 09, 2014

Chicken Curry || Recipe


Perhaps I've mentioned before that four of my siblings and I are each assigned one night per week to cook dinner for the family. Over the years, I have spent many pleasurable hours preparing various culinary creations, and several favourite recipes have emerged. I discovered early on that Indian cuisine is some of my favourite, and hence makes our menu fairly regularly! A few people have asked me what I cook, since there are ten of us to feed. Really, it isn't that hard because we've only ever gained one extra mouth at a time, and so the volume of ingredients has only gradually increased! I thought I would share a few of my favourite dishes, though. Pictured above are three curries: chicken, sausage, and vegetable, which I served {this time!} with Basmati rice and Chapati bread. The vegetable curry is just from the Edmonds cookbook currently available at grocery stores, and the other two curries, along with the bread recipe, I found online. Between three posts I will share the latter three recipes.

Chicken Curry


Ingredients

8 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinless
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon hot (Madras) curry powder
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
4 whole cloves
4 pods cardamom
1 cinnamon stick

Directions

  1. Rinse chicken and pat dry; season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, then saute chicken until browned. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
  2. Saute onions in skillet until translucent; add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, then stir in curry powder.
  3. Return chicken to skillet and add tomato sauce, coconut milk, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon stick. Season with salt to taste and stir all together.
  4. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through (no longer pink inside), about 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment