Saturday, February 08, 2020

2019: Favourite Books


Reading has long been a favourite pastime of mine and it is something I still strive to make time for in my busy schedule because I find it to be a great source of both relaxation and learning. Throughout last year I completed a dozen titles -- significantly fewer than a decade ago, but more carefully chosen and many of them thoroughly enjoyed. I'll share some of my favourites here.

The Walls Are Talking: Former Abortion Clinic Workers Tell Their Stories 

By Abby Johnson with Kristen Detrow 

I've mentioned Abby on my blog before. For a number of years during and after college she worked for Planned Parenthood, working her way up the ranks from volunteer to clinic director. In 2009 she left abruptly, and several years later she set to task of compiling some of her own stories as a Planned Parenthood employee, as well as stories other former PP employees shared of their own experiences. The book is all written in first-person for an easier flow, and reads well. The accounts are raw, real, and horrific. Don't ever defend abortion without reading The Walls Are Talking.

You Carried Me: A Daughter's Memoir 

By Melissa Ohden

Melissa lived a happy childhood with a loving adoptive family. You Carried Me follows her journey of discovering she was an abortion survivor, the trauma of realising that the very people to give her life had also tried to kill her, and the search for answers and peace. We read of her efforts to locate her birth parents--what a rollercoaster ride! Later we follow Melissa's own journey into parenthood, along with the unique challenges and perspectives such a history brings. This biography puts a face to choice and is both encouraging and thought-provoking.

Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design 

By Stephen C. Meyer

This book is thick and intellectual. If you're wondering how Darwinism stacks up next to modern scientific findings, this is for you. I had read briefly on many of these topics before and enjoyed going deeper.

The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place 

By Andy Crouch

I keep a list of books I want to read at some stage, and this one managed to make it onto that list twice! I expected it to be good but wasn't sure how relevant it would be to me. As it turns out, The Tech-Wise Family was both better and more relevant than I expected. Every chapter is short, and is further divided into brief sections, making this book very easy to read in short snatches of time here and there. If you think technology is a great tool but a terrible master, read this for tips to keep it in its place. If you ever feel like technology is more trouble than its worth, read this. If you sometimes reminisce that life was easier before technology became more pervasive, read this. If technology is a regular part of your life, then please read this. I can't recommend it enough.

The Unforgotten Babies: The inspiration behind the Buttons Project

By Marina and Peter Young

This is really a booklet more than a book, but I am going to go ahead and include it anyway. I've met New Zealanders Marina and Peter in person and they're both so lovely. Here, they share their own story and what brought them to begin The Buttons Project. Through their own grief they've searched for answers and hope, and now they're on a quest to help others find hope as well. 

Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions

By Gregory Koukl

Ever wondered what it takes to be good at conversation? Or how to deal with that person who never answers the question and jumps all over the place when you're trying to discuss something? How to manage a conversation when you don't know everything about a topic? Grab yourself a copy of Tactics and familiarise yourself with the content. So glad I purchased this book. 

Everybody Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setback and Difficult People

By Bob Goff

I may or may not have read most of this in one evening. This book is easy to read but also incredibly challenging and inspiring. How should we love those around us? Surely we can pass by that person, right?! Bob challenges us by his own example to love Everybody, Always.

What The Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--And Life

By Laura Vanderkam

I don't know about you, but I am always trying to pack more into my life than seems to fit. Although my priorites are different than many of the people surveyed for and discussed in this short book, I was really fascinated by the unique ways they managed to fit everything into their lives--like a mosaic. I had already implemented some of the strategies Laura mentions, but others were new to me. I love her way of organising a balanced life into weekly rather than daily routines; think 168 hours instead of 24. 

Well, how's that? 2/3 of my yearly reading material made it to my favourite list! I enjoyed reading these titles and while some were heavier than others, I look back at the time I spent in them and am content that it was time well spent. 2019 was a good literary year for me, and I am looking forward to exploring more great reading material during 2020.

How about you? Have you read any great books recently? Have you read any of the ones I've listed here?

No comments:

Post a Comment