Saturday, February 15, 2020

Highlights of 2019

Yes, I realise it is mid-February already and I promise this is the last post wrapping up 2019! Then we can make a start on this year's photos ;) 

2019 turned out to be a big year. As I was planning out my goals and plans for the year, there's no way I could've foreseen the events and growth that would take place as the year unfolded. 

In February, at the end of a pro-life training day, a small group of attendees shared contact details and arranged to meet again soon after. March for Life Auckland was formed, and within the first few months we successfully held our first counter-protest, which we've seen footage of in mainstream media on several occasions. We are really excited for first March for Life, happening just two weeks from today. Wohoo!

I spent my July birthday in Facebook jail while attending ACTIV8. I wasn't really sure if I would go or not until a few weeks before, but I'm SO glad I did! It was the most amazing week -- great teaching on a variety of useful topics, deep discussions, incredible people, and the food was pretty good too. While I'm not overly comfortable with 40ish people all looking my way and singing happy birthday, I had an amazing day (and week!) and I can't think of a better way to have spent my 23rd birthday. It may be one of my best yet.

A couple of weeks later I attended the Fearless Faith Conference run by Thinking Matters. Josh and Sean McDowell shared both personal testimony and research findings and shared more interesting material than my pen could keep up with/ Although auditory isn't my favourite learning channel, I made sure to purchase the recordings from this conference!

In September I finally got baptised. Three and a half years earlier I had left a church with plenty of hurt and no personal faith, but since then I had settled into a new church where God had gotten hold of me, and it was time to declare that publicly. Several people joined me for the occasion and it was special being able to celebrate together. Now I have a new anniversary to look forward to each year!

Mum turned 50 in November and we had a wonder celebration with friends and family from all over the country, and overseas as well. Some of the cousins met for the first time and we organised a number of catch-ups, extending the celebrations for over a week. The party itself also included the most formal concert my siblings and I have organised and performed together; it was quite the adventure but great experience.

In December we packed up and took a road trip down to Wellington for the National March for Life. As expected we had an amazing day. Music, 2.5K people, balloons, bubbles, face paint, great speakers, and an important message. Such a good day and some great memories to take home.

While 2019 certainly turned out differently than I expected, I think it's safe to say the year was better than I expected. It wasn't without its hardships, but I was blessed in many ways as well. All in all, it was a good year.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." ~Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment