Saturday, February 01, 2020

2019: Favourite Movies



I am going to begin this post with the disclaimer that the list it includes is going to be rather short. Throughout the entire course of 2019 I think I sat down to properly watch only two or three movies. And yes, you read that right. I had a busy year and watching movies just wasn't high on my priority list. That being said, I think I chose my selection fairly well because they made it to my list of all-time favourite movies, and two of them I purchased on DVD after viewing them.

Tortured for Christ 

Tortured for Christ Movie - Voice of the Martyrs
(image from vom.com.au)
No, this isn't your feel-good, watch during dinner type movie. It makes you think. It's hard. It's graphic. It's inspiring. And it's real. Tortured for Christ is based on the true story of Richard Wurmbrand who was imprisoned and tortured for his faith. Parts of the movie were filmed in Richard's former prison cell in Romania. So much faith and courage amidst such incredible suffering is amazing to see. 
This movie makes it to my must-see list. It is definitely not for younger viewers though.

Unplanned 

(image from unplannedfilm.com)

Having already read the book, I was super excited to hear that a movie was also being made, and waited with anticipation for its release. I wasn't disappointed either. Unplanned follows the journey of Abby Johnson, a real life clinic director at Planned Parenthood who was one day asked to help with an ultrasound-guided abortion and what she saw changed everything. And incredible story and a great movie. Somehow I hadn't realised during all the pre-release info that Lila Rose from Live Action made a brief appearance as herself, so that was an exciting surprise.

Overcomer

Overcomer (film) - Wikipedia
(image from wikipedia.org)

Actually, this is one I heard and saw bits and pieces of while the family was watching it and I was still trying to work on other things. I thought the story line was powerful and well-presented. This is defintely the most light-hearted and family-friendly of all the movies I'm recommending here :P Go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment